Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Gratification

I purchased Kelly Link's Magic For Beginners as bait on Monday and bribed myself that once the paper was written, revised, and edited, I could reward myself with a deliciously strange story of choice. Needless to say, the reward was delayed as the paper was printed while I brushed my teeth for school.

Post teaching, post class, post CW Tuesday night, post watching the Met's lose, I finally immersed myself in the now late night, short story pick me up. What I love about Kelly Link's stories is that she often takes something fairly ordinary, and paints it as something truly strange and remarkable, but living in a fairly ordinary world. After reading "The Faery Handbag," I will never look at my purses the same again. Maybe my consignment shop treasures are also the portal to a missing country? One could dream.

No comments: