Sunday, January 06, 2008

Supers

My New Year's resolution is to temper my solitary and taciturn ways by putting myself out there and giving people a chance. Which is way hard and way annoying. I wish I resolved against swearing.

Case in point: yesterday.

I had a date with the super nice, but super boring. Making me the super mean because I was in super amounts of pain. He emailed later that he had a super time. There were no less then 3 smiley faces in that super email. I took it as a super sign.

That evening, at a bar: I assumed I was having a conversation with the snbsb. And for the most part I was; I know because he was wearing an argyle sweater and khakis. But then, he zapped me: "I am really enjoying this Tom Robbins book I started." What?!? Unsuspecting depth. "Then you must really like Vonnegut, too." "Yes, they have similar writing styles." Hmm, maybe I should have given him a chance. But he wasn't as excited about the Philly food trucks as I thought everyone should be.

Learning from my mistakes, I gave the super ass a chance, even when I should have run from his super shifty eyed ways. He was an aeronautical engineer working in the Netherlands for NATO. I know! Super cool. But he was super snarky and super aggressive. Dude, calling Ender's Game a fantasy was not a personal insult, just super laziness. The evening clincher: "I bet I can name more African nations than you can." I bet so too, super freak.

No comments: