Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cavaties of the Brain

I read so much trash at the beach that I cannot seem to focus on anything of real value. This is not just reflected on my book reading, but also my newspaper, magazine, and blog reading. I could not even read the first two paragraphs on a Post article about the new baseball stadium. I should be all about this article. I should be speed reading it, running to the computer, reading what every blogger says about my new slice of heaven, and then, naturally, reading recently written blogs and articles about my baseball boyfriend.

Instead, I read my favorite comic, scanned the headlines, and ran to the computer to re-read my favorite posts on dfa. I have about the self control of a small child who just discovered m&ms. And the attention span as I cannot seem to concentrate on this post because of the pull of the Internet. Maybe dfa posted again? Have I read all the gawker comments? When was the last time I checked gofugyourself?

Proof that this cotton candy reading diet is zapping me: I am loving my new David Sedaris(normal) but am mentally referring it as my intellectual reading of the week (almost normal), and justifying reading of a Sedaris passage to "research" the Silverman-Kimmel split (totally crazy).

5 comments:

Erica said...

Holy crap did that make my day!

Are you related to me?

My advice would be to give up on the gawker comments right now...they come so fast and furiously, you would need to make monitoring them your full-time job (WANTED: Gawker Comment Reader...now THAT would be a rockin' job!).

Tree said...

Do you live in Gravesend? Because then maybe yes. Which would make my day, too.

However, to ease the bitter disappointment when I find out we are not related, I will re-read the David Beckham post because it is so true and I want the tote bag for grocery shopping.

Erica said...

Alas, I live in Park Slope...soon to be immortalized in serial form by none other than Darren Starr!
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/04/darren_stars_new_park_slope_sh.html

The "inguinal ligaments" thing was a letdown for me...we need something catchier. Why doesn't anyone else care about this, goddammit!!??

Tree said...

Ms DFA, On much thought, I think "the on ramp to your man trak" is the most marketable but "river beds that lead to the man lake" is the best dirty Anne Shirleyism I have heard in awhile. Or ever.

Erica said...

You know, I think you might be right...man trak is def the most commercial of our options. As for the compliment: that might be the best one I've ever received. I'm off to go design our tote bags...